History of The Suffield Arms

The Suffield Arms was built in 1886 by Lord Suffield for the workers on the Gunton Estate. It was originally in a row of cottages in Suffield Village but later relocated opposite Gunton station. The station was built in 1876 for Lord Suffield, who lived at nearby Gunton Hall, a close friend of the Prince of Wales and a major investor in the original East Norfolk Railway which built the line from Norwich to Cromer.


The decoration of the main bar is new but designed to feel 19th Century, with reclaimed floor tiles (‘paments’), William Morris curtains dating from the 1870’s, and old panelling forming the long bar. The ceiling is Anaglypta, one of the oldest wall coverings brands (dating from 1887) and the paint throughout the building has been aged and patinated by master craftsman Shaun Lovering, in an attempt to enhance the 19th Century atmosphere of the building. Apart from the main bar and upstairs saloon, the rest of The Suffield Arms is new build, including the staircase, the lavatories, and the greenhouse-style extensions. A newly built brick and flint wall surrounds the garden and disguises the scale of the extensions from the road, to preserve the intimate character of the original building.

Art at The Suffield Arms

The interior features a diverse mix of modern and traditional artworks. Read more below.